Saturday, December 16, 2017

Of Role Models & Mentors: A Tribute to Professor Calestous Juma

My Role Model; My Mentor



"One crucial test of leadership is whether an individual has a positive or negative memory of the work they did with the leaders they had. Tormentors may get results, but they sabotage people in the process. True mentors and leaders get results and evoke peoples’ potential in the process." John P. Schuster

I met Professor Calestous Juma in 2013 as I was wrapping up my fellowship at the Commonwealth Secretariat, Africa regional office in Lusaka, Zambia.

In fact, I had to literally abandon all I was doing when I discovered via Dambisa Moyo that he was a guest of the University of Zambia. Luckily for me, my office was inside the University. I raced down to the hall and listened raptly as he delivered his lecture on how Africa government could leverage on technology to revolutionize agriculture.

Prior to meeting this Kenyan born American intellectual, I’ve had the privilege of meeting dignitaries including few presidents who were usually carried away by the trappings of their office or influence but not Prof. Calestous. He was simply down to earth and answered the question I posed to him about poor Leadership in Africa and President Jonathan, in particular. He even ‘subbed’ me while answering my question and concluded that Nigerians were one of the most ‘impatient’ folks on earth. 😂😜😆

I met him one-on-one after his lecture and he went further about his personal relationship with GEJ and how he saw him as one of the humble presidents Africa has ever had. He later signed my copy of his book for me and introduced me to his friends in Zambia.

There are a few people you meet in life who ‘get’ you, who amplify your dreams and provide a clear path to the fulfillment of your highest goals. Prof. Juma was one of such vision clarifier and destiny helper to me. Reading his autobiography, back then, gave me an #eureka moment and provided me with a #model to pattern my life after.

Prof. Juma reignited my resolve to always chase my dreams and to live full and die empty. As a promise I made to him during that encounter, I resolved not to renew my contract in Zambia. Before leaving him that day, I also promised that I would send him a note whenever I visit Harvard for my ‘future’ studies. ☹️

We kept in touch afterwards via Twitter even when I eventually relocated to the States in 2014.

Africa has LOST a huge asset with the passing of this great scholar but I have lost a ROLE MODEL and MENTOR. I am inconsolable!

Keep resting in the bosom of our Lord, Prof.

Adieu Professor Calestous Juma!

From a mentee to a mentor...

Wale Salami


Picture: With Jennnifer Bush, exchange program student from Cornell University in Zambia





****
****

About Juma
Calestous Juma (June 9, 1953 – December 15, 2017) was an internationally recognised authority in the application of science and technology to sustainable development worldwide. He was named one of the most influential 100 Africans in 2012, 2013 and 2014 by the New African magazine. He was Professor of the Practice of International Development and Faculty Chair of the Innovation for Economic Development Executive Program at Harvard Kennedy School. Juma was Director of the School's Science, Technology and Globalization Project at Harvard Kennedy School as well as the Agricultural Innovation in Africa Project funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. His latest book, The New Harvest: Agricultural Innovation in Africa was published by Oxford University Press in 2011.

In recognition of his work, Juma had been elected to the Royal Society of London, the US National Academy of Sciences, The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS), the UK Royal Academy of Engineering, the African Academy of Sciences and the New York Academy of Sciences.

No comments:

What are you reading this weekend?

Just got a delivery of Tomie Balogun's bestselling book #InvestmentClubs; How To Create Wealth Beyond Your Pay-cheque By Investing Wi...